Saturday, October 11, 2014

Maple Chiffon Cake


Is it just me or does this look weird? Like it's been heavily edited, but it hasn't. Weird camera things.

Now, I'm just going to give you a little heads up. This is not a cake for beginners. It involves a fair amount of harder baking techniques, as well as a hefty financial investment in maple sugar (seriously, 7 bucks for half a cup of the stuff). 

After you read this you may think, "I know how to whip eggs and fold batter and brown butter and I have a sifter and a bundt pan! This cake doesn't seem so hard!" Congrats, you are then not a beginning baker. 

Those beautiful ripples in the frosting makes my tummy ripple and rumble.

I don't blame you for trying this cake even if you aren't a great at baking because it is so pretty, isn't it! And Chiffon Cake is such a lovely name! Really chiffon just means made with oil instead of butter, but all my favorite cakes are chiffons. They're so light and moist even with loads of brown sugar, which tends to make cakes syrupy. 


You have two wonderful choices for finishing this cake. You can add a sprinkle of powdered sugar and serve it with cheese and wine (if you haven't had the pleasure of cake, cheese, and wine, I feel dreadfully sorry for you. I suggest a Cranberry Wensleydale with a spicy wine).

See the tiny flecks of browned butter in there? You know it's brown enough when it starts to smell like caramel.

Or you can load this baby up with Brown Butter Frosting and pecan bits.

This cake belongs in some Swedish cottage somewhere.

This is another recipe from Vintage Cakes. I provided the original recipe but found the batter to be too thick, so I put in a total of 1/2 cup of water. So here it is, the recipe for the Maple Chiffon Cake:


No comments:

Post a Comment